30 June, 2020
How to Make Yummy Au Gratin Potatoes
Au Gratin Potatoes. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes.
Slice potatoes, then cut slices into fourths. In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Arrange some of the potato slices, edges overlapping, in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. You can have Au Gratin Potatoes using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Au Gratin Potatoes
- You need 4 of Russet Potatoes cut apx. 1/4 in thick.
- Prepare 1 of yellow onion slices into half rings.
- Prepare 1/2 stick of butter.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 3 TBS of flower.
- You need 2 cups of milk.
- Prepare 1 of small bag shredded triple cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 1 cup of parmesan cheese.
Add the diced potatoes to the prepared baking dish and pour the creamy mixture all over the top. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. You may feel intimidated by the words, Au Gratin, but don't be! In French, Au Gratin means "by grating" or "with a crust." This potato recipe is au gratin because we top the thinly sliced potatoes with an extra layer of cheese before baking, giving it a delicious cheesy crust!
Au Gratin Potatoes step by step
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and butter a 9×13 glass baking dish..
- In a medium-size pot, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour, garlic powder, and salt. Stir constantly for one minute..
- Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened..
- Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds..
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish and top with the onion slices. Then pour half the cheese mixture on top..
- Repeat step 5 with remaining potatoes, onions, and cheese mixture..
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in oven for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes. (Or longer if you desire a crisper finish.).
- Set aside to rest for 15 min then it's ready to serve..
Next, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour until smooth and cook for a minute or two. Slowly stir in milk, garlic, dried onions, salt, and pepper and cook on low until boiling. Potatoes Au Gratin satisfy my need for creamy, cheesy goodness and creates a side dish that your entire family will love! The recipe comes together very easily!