27 August, 2020
Recipe: Delicious Mincemeat
Mincemeat. Mincemeat is a traditional English treat that is usually used as filling for mince pies during Christmas, but it tastes great mixed with vanilla ice cream, as well. This recipe uses butter instead of the traditional suet, which makes this mincemeat suitable for vegetarians. Mincemeat is a mixture of chopped dried fruit, distilled spirits and spices, and sometimes beef suet, beef, or venison.
Mincemeat definition is – minced meat. How to use mincemeat in a sentence. Mincemeat developed as a way of preserving meat. You can have Mincemeat using 15 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mincemeat
- Prepare 600 grams of apple, very finely diced.
- Prepare 300 grams of butter (or vegan shortening).
- Prepare 450 grams of Thompson raisins.
- Prepare 275 grams of golden raisins.
- You need 275 grams of currants.
- You need 450 grams of brown sugar.
- It’s 500 ml of orange marmalade (I use dark).
- Prepare 275 grams of mixed citrus peel.
- Prepare 100 grams of citron peel.
- You need 75 grams of slivered almonds.
- You need 10 grams of cinnamon.
- It’s 2 grams of ground cloves.
- Prepare 2 grams of ground cardamom.
- Prepare 5 grams of ground allspice.
- Prepare 125 ml of brandy or rum.
I copied this from The Virginia Housewife by Mary Randolph many, many years ago. It is supposedly the recipe used by Martha Washington. The original recipe called for ingredients by pounds. I used the cheapest, fattiest burger I could find in place of the beef amd suet.
Mincemeat step by step
- Place all ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat..
- Let simmer 45-60 minutes, until the dried fruits are plum and the mixture begins to thicken..
- Let cool to room temperature, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container, up to 1 month,.
I also use a pound of mixed candied fruit instead of the citron and peel. Supposedly this can be processed in a water bath. It may look fiddly with so many ingredients, but it is not. Quite the opposite as the method is so simple; it is a case of mixing and a quick cook. These spices possess properties that inhibit the growth of.