27 June, 2020
How to Prepare Appetizing Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie
Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie. Cold days call for comfort food and while the layers of meat and potatoes in shepherd's pie might seem a bit heavy, there are plenty of delicious ways to lighten it up. From vegetarian shepherd's pie with lentils to shepherd's pie with creamy chicken and mushrooms, these are a few of our favorite shepherd's pie recipes with a healthy twist. Best Ever American Shepherd's Pie Recipe.
It is made with hamburger but you could use lamb or mutton. This is the way my family likes it. Shepherd's Pie is a recipe your family will enjoy anytime. You can have Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie
- You need 2 head of of Cauliflower.
- You need 1 tbsp of Milk.
- You need 2 tbsp of Butter.
- Prepare 2 lb of Ground Turkey or Chicken.
- You need 1 of Onion.
- You need 25 of small Carrots, or so.
- You need of Garlic (Powder or Fresh).
- It’s 2 tbsp of Olive Oil.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Worcestershire Sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 can of Beef or Chicken Broth.
- It’s 1 cup of Shredded Cheese (I tried Mozz this time.).
- Prepare of Salt and Pepper.
- You need 2 tablespoons of flour.
This is an American Shepherd's pie. Ground beef, peas, and carrots is what we use over here, with LOTS of cheddar on top 🙂 I've never seen anyone in the US serve Shepherd's pie with anything but ground beef. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Start the cauliflower mash. Boil a pot of water then add cauliflower. Let cook approx 10-15 minutes, or until soft..
- Start Meat. Sauté with oil: onion and carrots, then garlic. Add meat, and lightly brown. Add flour, then Worcestershire sauce and broth. Add salt and pepper as needed..
- You can add green beans and corn to meat pan..
- Drain cauliflower, add milk, butter and salt and pepper as needed. Blend in blender until reaches mashed potato -like consistency..
- Grease 2-3 qt casserole dish. Add layer of meat, then layer of cheese, then cauliflower mash on top. Make sure cauliflower mash covers to the sides so meat does not boil out and cause a mess. Add a dash of paprika on top..
- Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes. Let cool for 10 mins..
Yes, shepherd's pie is predominantly thought of as Irish or British. But since I'm Scottish, I thought I'd give it a unique twist to suit my ancestral tastes. The use of lamb, the smoky, heather taste of Guinness® Draught (Irish, I admit), and the topping of sharp Cheddar and smoked paprika give this version its unique, smoky-sweet flavor. Looks great – not Shepherd's pie though. Shepherd's pie always uses lamb mince.