28 August, 2020
Recipe: Tasty Shepherd's pie
Shepherd's pie. Find The Great Collection of Easy Making Recipes. Find Delicious and Healthy Recipes, Meal, Healthy Snacks & Cooking Techniques. Want To Learn How To Make Delicious Pies?
The use of lamb, the smoky, heather taste of Guinness® Draught (Irish, I admit), and the topping of sharp Cheddar and smoked paprika give this version its unique, smoky-sweet flavor. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. You can cook Shepherd's pie using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Shepherd's pie
- You need of For Mashed Potatoes (Leftover mashed potatoes can be used too):.
- Prepare 2 of large Potatoes.
- You need 10 g of Butter.
- It’s 120 ml of Milk.
- You need of LAMB FILLING.
- You need 300 g of Ground lamb/mutton.
- It’s 1 of Onions.
- It’s 6 of Mushrooms.
- Prepare 1 of Carrots.
- It’s 1 Tablespoon of Flour.
- It’s 240 ml of Broth.
- It’s 1 Tablespoon of Thyme.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of Parsley.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper.
You'll love the convenience of this easy, comforting shepherd's pie from Martha Stewart. Unlike other shepherd's pie recipes, this one calls for frozen vegetables instead of fresh and can be made the day before. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb.
Shepherd's pie instructions
- Cook potatoes in their skins until soft. Peel and mash up with the butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside..
- Preheat ove to 200°C..
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan and saute onions until soft. Add in mushrooms and continue to cook until their juices start coming out (about 5-10 minutes)..
- Add carrots and meat. Cook until the meat is browned..
- Sprinkle in the flour. Mix until the sauce thickens a little..
- Add broth, thyme and parsley and bring to a boil..
- Turn to low, and cook until most liquid is gone and the mixture is thick..
- Put lamb and vegetable filling in an oven dish and spread with mash potatoes on top..
- Bake 20-30 minutes until the pie is bubbling and potatoes are a little browned..
- Dish out and enjoy!.
Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served "shepherd's pie" here, it is most often made with ground beef. These shepherd's pie recipes run the range from the traditional (featuring ground or minced lamb) to the modestly modified (ground beef instead of lamb) to the more modern and experimental (vegan or paleo shepherd's pies). You can't go wrong with any of these savory one-pot comfort-food casseroles, complete meals that also feature veggies, a savory gravy, and a mashed potato (or a surprise. Best Shepherd's Pie This is the best shepherds pie recipe I've ever had, and it comes from a friend who was a whiz at pinching pennies without sacrificing hearty flavor.—Valerie Merrill, Topeka, Kansas Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef.