30 June, 2020
How to Make Delicious Cottage Pie
Cottage Pie. Being from Australia, cottage pie is a favourite when it comes to comfort food for the family. Overall, this recipe is pretty close to the orignial. Not sure why you would want to add cinnamon to a traditional cottage pie.
I followed the recipe for everything except the green peas coz I do not have them on hand. I use a bigger onion instead. I forgot to dot extra butter on top, but it still came out crisp with adequately brown. You can cook Cottage Pie using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Cottage Pie
- Prepare 400 g of minced beef.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- You need 1/2 of celery.
- Prepare 200 ml of soup stock.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of worcestershire sauce.
- It’s of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare 4 of potatoes.
- You need 100 ml of milk.
- You need 50 g of butter or margarine.
- Prepare of salt and pepper.
Make sure the pie is completely cold, then cover it well with cling film and freeze. Always freeze the pie on the day that you make it. Defrost in the fridge overnight, then cook as per the recipe. A traditional cottage pie is made with ground beef and topped with mashed potatoes.
Cottage Pie step by step
- Preheat the oven at 180°C/350°F. Chop the onion and celery into small pieces. Peel the potatoes and cut into small pieces to boil until they become soft..
- To make the mash potatoes, first put the milk, butter or margarine, salt and pepper into a small pot and mix well until the butter has melted into a sauce. Then add the boiled potatoes and mash until the texture is smooth and creamy..
- Fry and brown the minced meat in a frying pan, add the chopped vegetables and fry for a min or two on a medium heat. Then add the soup stock, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and simmer for 3 min..
- Put the cooked minced meat into a oven proof dish and spread the mash potatoes over the mince as evenly as possible. Finally, bake in the oven for 30 min or until the mash potato has browned. Enjoy this dish piping hot!.
We used potato slices, which saves time and looks good, too. For a shepherd's pie, use lamb. There are many variations of the recipe, but the defining ingredients include minced or ground beef with onions (and sometimes other vegetables) in. Cottage pie is a meat pie that is topped with mashed potatoes and baked in the oven. Now, cottage pie and shepherd's pie differ only in the type of ground meat they are made with.