13 July, 2020
Recipe: Perfect Potato Gratin
Potato Gratin. In this classic gratin, thinly sliced potatoes soak up all the goodness of a milk-and-cream mixture that has been spiked with nutmeg. A sprinkling of grated Gruyere cheese on top becomes gooey in the oven. Add the cream and milk to a large saucepan over medium-low heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
Staff Picks Spinach, Caramelized Onion, and Muenster Au Gratin Potatoes Potato gratin is one of those dishes that is so simple to make, but the results are fantastic. A perfect gratin is thick, rich, and creamy with soft but intact potatoes and a decadent cheesy flavor. This recipe is loosely based on Orlando Murrin's recipe in "A Table in the Tarn: Living, Eating, and Cooking in Rural France." Gratin Dauphinois In this classic form the gratin tastes plenty cheesy on account of the reduced milk, but not gooey. You can have Potato Gratin using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Potato Gratin
- Prepare 3 of potatoes.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- You need 2 Tbsp of flour.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of butter or margarine.
- It’s 200 ml of milk.
- Prepare of salt and pepper.
- You need 1 pinch of garlic powder.
- It’s 3 Tbsp of grated cheese.
For extra goo, sprinkle some shredded Beaufort or Gruyère between potato. These homemade au gratin potatoes are always welcome at our dinner table, and they're so simple to make. A perfect complement to ham, this homey potato gratin also goes well with pork, chicken and other entrees. —Cris O'Brien, Virginia Beach, Virginia One of the greatest comfort foods we know: a classic gratin dauphinois, or scalloped potatoes. Arrange some of the potato slices, edges overlapping, in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Potato Gratin step by step
- Peel the potatoes and chop into 2cm slices. Put them into a pot of salted water and boil until the potatoes become soft..
- Slice the onion, and fry in a pan with olive oil until browned..
- To make the white sauce, put the margarine and flour into a pan on medium heat and stir until the mixture becomes sticky. Then add milk, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Continue to stir gently to avoid getting lumps in the mixture..
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Put the potatoes with the onions on a baking dish and pour on the white sauce. Finally add grated cheese on top. Bake for about 15 min or until the top has browned nicely..
Potatoes au Gratin – forget scalloped potatoes, THIS is the creme de la creme of all potato recipes!! Also known as Dauphinoise Potatoes, this French classic is made with layers upon layers of finely sliced potatoes, cream, butter and cheese with a hint of fresh thyme. This Potato Gratin is the perfect simple side dish for any type of meal, whether its weeknight dinners or holiday meals. Thin slices of Yukon gold potato are baked in cream, milk, two cheeses, garlic, and thyme, until bubbling and golden brown. This potato gratin recipe is one Mary Berry's favourite ways of serving potatoes.