29 September, 2020
Recipe: Delicious Mock Shepherd Pie
Mock Shepherd Pie. Our most trusted Mock Shepherds Pie recipes. Reviewed by millions of home cooks. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love! Vegan Version: Use olive oil in place of butter and non-dairy milk in place of the yogurt. Meat Version: Add browned ground meat to the gravy mixture. You can have Mock Shepherd Pie using 7 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Mock Shepherd Pie
- It’s 1 lb of ground beef browned and drained of excess fat.
- It’s 2 cup of hot mashed potatoes. (I used package of instant roasted garlic).
- You need 4 oz of Philly cream cheese (cubed).
- You need 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- You need 2 clove of minced garlic.
- It’s 4 cup of frozen mixed vegetables.
- You need 1 cup of beef gravy (I used the Heinz beef in a jar).
Yes, shepherd's pie is predominantly thought of as Irish or British. But since I'm Scottish, I thought I'd give it a unique twist to suit my ancestral tastes. The use of lamb, the smoky, heather taste of Guinness® Draught (Irish, I admit), and the topping of sharp Cheddar and smoked paprika give this version its unique, smoky-sweet flavor. The exact origin of Shepherd's pie is a bit of a mystery!
Mock Shepherd Pie step by step
- Preheat oven to 375°F..
- Brown meat in large skillet and drain off fat..
- Prepare instant potatoes.
- To potato mixture add, cubed cream cheese, 2cloves minced garlic and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Stir thoroughly..
- Stir vegetables and gravy into meat. Spoon into 9" baking dish. Cover with potato mixture. Spread with remaining cheese..
- Bake until heated thru, about 20 minutes..
But both the Irish and British claim the origination of this hearty, mashed potato crust dish. Make mashed potatoes: In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and add a generous pinch of salt. Vegan Shepherd's Pie with a mock mashed potato topping that's rich and satisfying, all without any potatoes and very minimal oil. Begin by making the mock potato topping. Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan over medium heat.