17 September, 2020
Recipe: Yummy Cottage Pie
Cottage Pie. Being from Australia, cottage pie is a favourite when it comes to comfort food for the family. Overall, this recipe is pretty close to the orignial. Not sure why you would want to add cinnamon to a traditional cottage pie.
I followed the recipe for everything except the green peas coz I do not have them on hand. I use a bigger onion instead. I forgot to dot extra butter on top, but it still came out crisp with adequately brown. You can cook Cottage Pie using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cottage Pie
- You need 2 pounds of ground turkey (or whatever you have.).
- You need 1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables.
- It’s 1 bag of frozen corn.
- You need 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
- It’s 1 cup of V8 juice.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of butter.
- It’s of Potato Top.
- It’s 6-8 of potatoes, washed, peeled, chopped.
- You need 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Prepare of milk or V8 juice to desired consistency.
Make sure the pie is completely cold, then cover it well with cling film and freeze. Always freeze the pie on the day that you make it. Defrost in the fridge overnight, then cook as per the recipe. A traditional cottage pie is made with ground beef and topped with mashed potatoes.
Cottage Pie step by step
- Begin with the potatoes. Boil on stove until bottom hash is ready to combine..
- Grease skillet with butter and brown meat..
- Add frozen vegetables and cook till thawed..
- Add tablespoon of cornstarch to 1 cup of V8 juice. Stir till dissolved and pour over hash. Cook to a simmer..
- Drain potatoes and mash with butter and milk (add till you have the potatoes as thick or thin as you want.) If you are out of milk, use V8 juice..
- Dump hash into a glass casserole dish, 9×13 works best..
- Spoon potatoes on top and spread to desired coverage..
- Place in preheated oven of 400 Fahrenheit. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are browned..
We used potato slices, which saves time and looks good, too. For a shepherd's pie, use lamb. There are many variations of the recipe, but the defining ingredients include minced or ground beef with onions (and sometimes other vegetables) in. Cottage pie is a meat pie that is topped with mashed potatoes and baked in the oven. Now, cottage pie and shepherd's pie differ only in the type of ground meat they are made with.