17 August, 2020
How to Cook Delicious Cottage Pie
Cottage Pie. Being from Australia, cottage pie is a favourite when it comes to comfort food for the family. Overall, this recipe is pretty close to the orignial. Not sure why you would want to add cinnamon to a traditional cottage pie.
I followed the recipe for everything except the green peas coz I do not have them on hand. I use a bigger onion instead. I forgot to dot extra butter on top, but it still came out crisp with adequately brown. You can have Cottage Pie using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cottage Pie
- Prepare 3 tbsp. of olive oil, divided.
- You need 1 tbsp. of butter.
- It’s 1 lb. of ground beef.
- Prepare 1/2 of yellow onion, diced.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 1 tbsp. of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of each salt, pepper, dried rosemary.
- You need 1/4 tsp. of dried thyme.
- It’s 3 tbsp. of all purpose flour.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of unsalted beef broth.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of frozen peas and carrot mixture.
- You need 3 cups of already prepared mashed poatoes.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese.
Make sure the pie is completely cold, then cover it well with cling film and freeze. Always freeze the pie on the day that you make it. Defrost in the fridge overnight, then cook as per the recipe. A traditional cottage pie is made with ground beef and topped with mashed potatoes.
Cottage Pie instructions
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Once its hot, add the beef and cook until it is browned throughout. Drain out any fat, if needed, then set it aside on a plate and cover with foil..
- Add the remaining oil and butter to the skillet. Once the butter melts, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Then stir in the garlic and tomato paste. Cook and stir another minute or so, then add the beef back to the skillet with the seasonings. Increase the heat to med-high..
- Sprinkle the flour over the beef and stir to integrate. Cook and stir often for a couple of minutes, then stir in the broth and Worcestershire sauce. Let the mixture come up to a simmer and let it simmer until it has thickened (5-10 minutes. The gravy should coat the back of a spoon). Then remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the frozen veggies..
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 8×8" baking pan, then pour the beef mixture into it and spread it out evenly. Stir the cheese into the mashed potatoes (if using leftovers like I do, warm the potatoes up slightly first). Then scoop the mashed potatoes evenly over the top and use a fork to spread them out, being careful not to mix it into the beef mixture. Bake for 25 or so minutes, until golden on top and heated throughout. Then let it sit for 10 or so minutes before serving..
We used potato slices, which saves time and looks good, too. For a shepherd's pie, use lamb. There are many variations of the recipe, but the defining ingredients include minced or ground beef with onions (and sometimes other vegetables) in. Cottage pie is a meat pie that is topped with mashed potatoes and baked in the oven. Now, cottage pie and shepherd's pie differ only in the type of ground meat they are made with.