30 September, 2020
How to Make Appetizing Squash Gratin
Squash Gratin. Zucchini and yellow squash mixed with milk, cheese, and buttery crackers are baked until bubbly and golden in this summery gratin recipe. Cover with microwavable plastic wrap, venting one corner. This gratin from F&W's Kay Chun features long spears of squash topped with panko and cheese and baked until tender and crisp.
In the fall, this is an easy dish to dress up a simple roast chicken or pork loin. She cooks the squash with garlic and a little nutmeg, then puts it in a gratin dish with a topping of crunchy bread crumbs and Gruyère cheese. This is serious comfort food on a cold winter. You can cook Squash Gratin using 11 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Squash Gratin
- You need 1 of delicata squash.
- Prepare 1/2 of butternut squash.
- Prepare 2 of Yukon gold potatoes.
- It’s 1 can of evaporated goats milk.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 1 of small sweet onion.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 1 tsp of finely chopped fresh rosemary.
- You need 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast.
- It’s 1 tsp of sazon seasoning.
- It’s of Grated Parmesan Cheese.
This gratin is the perfect way to use up an abundance of summer squash. Gratin's are usually loaded with butter and cream, this lightened Butternut Squash Gratin is healthier and flavorful, you won't miss all the cream! A perfect side dish for Turkey or Roasted Chicken. Zucchini Gratin with Yellow Squash is a luscious creamy cheesy medley of zucchini, yellow squash, onions and garlic.
Squash Gratin instructions
- Preheat oven to 385°.
- In a large cast iron skillet heat 1 tbsp oil. Finely slice the onion and garlic and cook until soft..
- Stir in the tomato paste. Once well mixed add the goats milk, rosemary and nutritional yeast..
- Simmer for 10 minutes and remove from heat..
- Chop the squashes and potatoes into 1/4 inch slices while the sauce is simmering..
- Pour the sauce into a bowl to use later..
- Layer the squash and potatoes in the cast iron skillet alternating as you go..
- Dust the squash with sazon seasoning..
- Once the skillet is full evenly pour the sauce across the top..
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour..
- After an hour remove the foil and lightly sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and bake uncovered for 10 minutes..
- Let cool and dig in!.
It is quick and easy to prepare. It will make a summer squash lover out of you! Summer is in full force here and with it comes lots of fresh zucchini and yellow squash. This savory spaghetti squash casserole gets an umami boost from anchovies and Parmesan. The creamy sauce is surprisingly low in fat, so go ahead and have a second helping!